Fats are essential in our diets. If you do not eat enough of the right type of fats then you are missing out on a boat load of benefits. They are the building blocks to hormones, help repair exercise induced muscle damage, aid in the absorption of vitamins, provide fuel for energy alongside making our food taste goooooood.
However fat can very easy to overeat - resulting in an excess of calories.
FATS DON'T MAKE YOU FAT, CARBS DON'T MAKE YOU FAT. EATING IN EXCESS AT THE WRONG TIMES WILL CAUSE YOU TO PUT ON BODYFAT.
Here are some tips to include fats in the correct way
- Choose meats that are higher in fats - red meat, chicken thighs
- Eat salmon or other oily fish such as trout, mackerel and anchovies
- Add small amount of butter or olive oil to veggies
- Add an egg on top of meals (everyone loves an egg!)
- Sprinkle of seeds or nuts on meals such as stir frys or currys
- Dollop of yoghurt to meals
- Use coconut oil to cook your food in
- Adding chia seeds to your overnight oats
- Use coconut milk as the base of your smoothies - here is a good recipe
- Add a fish oil supplement to your daily nutrition plan.
- Add extras such as avocado and nut butters to meals. (satay sauces or guacamole)
If you ever feel that you hit the wall in terms of energy levels mid morning or mid afternoon try pairing lots of veggies with some fats and protein. This can help balancing blood sugar levels - leading to you becoming more productive instead of heading for the snack station to get you through!