Pre bed meal recipes
Getting a meal in around 45 minutes pre bed can really help supercharge your recovery and gainz! Growth hormone spikes in the first 30 minutes of sleep and providing nutrients to allow it to repair and regenerate your body will equate to you recovering better!
Here are a few recipes to help you out. Please make sure that they fit into your nutrition plan - dont use as an excuse to overeat and treat yourself every night :)
BANANA BLUEBERRY PANCAKES
- 2 scoops oats
- 2 eggs
- 1 scoop chia seeds
- 1 banana
- 150ml almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla protein from proper food project
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
Blitz in a @thenutribullet
- Using a decent non stick pan pour some mixture in the middle of the pan
- Cook for 30 seconds one side - flip then cook for 20 seconds other side
- Serve with all kinda toppings - ensuring you are tailoring it to your nutrition plan.
CHIA AND CACAO RASPERRY PORRIDGE
Higher carbohydrate option for that pre bed meal.
- 2 scoops of oats
- 150ml Almond milk
- 1 scoop Chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon Cacao powder
- Sprinkle of linwoods flaxseed
Warm on the hob or microwave and top with the berries.
This is great option if you train first thing in the morning or if you train late evening and need to refuel quickly post session.
Now there a lots of different variations you can do but here's one of my favourites. You have to play around with the ingredients slightly depending on the size of your cup and the strength of your microwave but you will nail it after a couple of attempts I promise!
USE A LARGE MUG
- 100 - 150ml nut milk
- 1 scoop of whey protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of raw cacao.
- Coconut oil to coat mug
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon of peanut or almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
How to make
- Spray the cup with cooking spray or baste with coconut oil to prevent sticking
- Put milk and egg into cup and whisk with fork.
- Add the dry ingredients and then the peanut butter and mix into a batter texture
- Microwave for 1 minute. Check the cake by pressing down on the centre. It should be spongy. If not, place your cake back in the microwave for 10 second increments. Be careful, it will dry out easily.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake and tip onto a plate or just tuck in to it straight out of the mug!!
Top with vanilla protein greek yoghurt / seeds / cacao nibs or more peanut butter
PROTEIN YOGHURT SNACK BOWL
Super simple bowl of yoghurt and fruit with a little added fat
- 150g yoghurt - greek or skyr
- Small scoop protein powder of your choice
- Various fruits such as berries, cherries or apples
- Teaspoon of nut butter
- Sprinkle of seeds (or bee pollen)
Mix it all in a bowl!