Salmon, beet sauerkraut & mustard potatoes
Herby roasted salmon with a ground almond crust alongside mustardy potatoes and a quick beetroot sauerkraut. Beetroot is a highly nutritious source of magnesium and iron for cardiovascular health.
550 kcal anytime meal
Makes 2 servings
1/2 tbsp oil
1 tsp caraway seeds
200g new potatoes
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
2 tsp honey
2 x 150g salmon fillet (skin on)
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
40g watercress, spinach & rocket mix
4 tbsp ground almonds
Medium handful of fresh dill
547 calories • 39g carbs • 30g fat • 38g protein
Allergens: Fish, Mustard, Nuts, Sulphites
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4 and boil a kettle.
2. To make a quick sauerkraut; finely slice the cabbage and peel and grate the beetroot. Heat a saucepan on a medium heat and add the caraway seeds, toast for 2 mins until beginning to brown. Then add the cabbage, beetroot, vinegar, honey and 6 tbsp cold water. Simmer on a gentle heat with a lid on the pan for 20 mins, then remove the lid and simmer for a further 5 mins until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add a little more cold water if it gets too dry.
3. Leaving the skin on, cut the potatoes into 2cm cubes.
4. Place the potatoes into a saucepan, cover with boiling water and add a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 mins until softened. Once tender and softened, drain and stir through the wholegrain mustard.
5. To make the salmon crust; zest the lemon and finely chop the dill leaves. Place the lemon zest, dill, the ground almonds, 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper into a bowl and mix well. Spread over the top of the salmon fillets and place on a baking tray in the oven for 15 mins until cooked through.
6. Serve the salmon alongside the beet sauerkraut, mustard potatoes and the watercress, spinach and rocket salad. Drizzle the salad with a squeeze of lemon juice and 1/2 tbsp olive oil.