Buckwheat and beetroot risotto
Gluten free vegetarian meal prep recipe loaded with performance enhancing beetroot. Loads of herbs to help lower inflammation from training
PRO + CARB
PREP TIME - 10 mins
COOK - 30 mins
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.1 lbs (500g) beetroot, cooked
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 10.5 oz. (300g) buckwheat
- 5 cups (11/4L) vegetable stock
- 1 oz. (30g) pine nuts, roasted
- 5 oz. (150g) goats cheese, crumbled
- 4 handfuls rocket, to serve
- Heat the oil in a pan on high heat. Add the onion and thyme and cook for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Next add in the buckwheat and cook for 3 minutes stirring until the grains are translucent, then add in a little bit of the vegetable stock and stir until it is absorbed.
- Keep adding the stock until the buckwheat is cooked, it will take about 25 mins. Add the beetroot for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- In the meantime, roast the pine nuts in a dry pan for 3 minutes on medium heat until golden brown.
- Crumble the goat's cheese and stir in half the risotto at the end of cooking. Divide the rocket over the plates alongside the risotto.
- To serve sprinkle with the rest of the goat's cheese, pine nuts and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving - 550 KCAL